This April, farmworkers and their allies will gather in the Chicago area for an historic mobilization marking a new phase in the Coalition of Immokalee Workers' Campaign for Fair Food.
But we know this campaign for human rights and dignity in the fields will not end with the actions against McDonald's in April. Now's the time to come together and build the connections and skills we'll need in the months and years ahead.
Come join us this February 23-24 in Chicago for the Midwest Encuentro - A networking and strategy gathering of community, youth/student, and labor allies of the CIW:
- Friday, February 23, 7pm: video, food, music and presentation with the CIW
- Saturday, February 24, 9am-9pm: strategy discussions and workshops
- All events take place as Casa Aztlan, 1831 S. Racine, Chicago, IL
- Download and share the outreach flyer here.
Workshop topics include:
- Presentation and discussions with farmworker leaders from Immokalee
- "Fair Food Animators" training - How to talk about the campaign with your community
- Mobilizing for the April 13-14 actions
- Educating and engaging communities beyond April
- Solidarity and connections between our struggles
We will also be making art and holding an action at a local McDonald's Saturday afternoon!
Come join us, whether you're in the immediate Chicago area or the broader Midwest. Participating cities include Urbana-Champaign, Carbondale, Minneapolis, and Madison.
Housing will be provided for those coming from out of town.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 239.986.0847 to RSVP or for more information.